© WEP 2020
Benefits of Student Exchange
Student exchange offers broad based benefits and outcomes for students keen to embark on this international adventure. Most of these are intertwined and come together to constitute the overarching exchange experience.
- International learning and knowledge propels students towards acceptance and understanding of an array of different cultural and community perspectives.
- Language acquisition is achieved through practical immersion.
- Awareness and adoption of alternative, multi-faceted approaches to learning.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Enhanced interest in global issues as well as a broader general knowledge.
- Self-development and awareness leading to enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem. This is often the most noticeable change in returned exchange students.
- Maturity and social poise, fuelled by the necessity to confront challenges outside a familiar support network and comfort zone.
- Integration into another family as well as the development of life-long friendships, fostering an appreciation of home and family.
- A tremendous sense of accomplishment upon completion encourages students to develop independent opinions, make informed decisions and strive to attain fresh goals.
- Students who go on to tertiary studies find themselves more comfortable in ‘foreign’ environments.
- Prospective employers in almost every field look favourably upon experience gained while living overseas and knowledge obtained of another language and culture.
- Increased pressure to communicate and relate to others develops an awareness of group dynamics and personal sensitivity towards others.
- Successful program completion represents an excellent measure of personal flexibility, encompassing an ability to reach compromise, focus and succeed through challenging times.
"My daughter is about to return home to Australia from her exchange in Belgium. She has had the time of her life and has made friends for life with her host family
WEP has done a fantastic job is organising all of this - from the initial information sessions, travel arrangements, matching of host family (perfect choice), update reports and the always-available support.
My wife and I were somewhat anxious given that our daughter only recently turned 15 and was travelling across to the other side of the world to spend time with another family. Reassuringly, very soon after her arrival any concerns we had evaporated. We realised WEP had done a fantastic job in matching her with a family and that she was perfectly safe and had embarked on a fantastic journey ... and she has certainly thrived and matured in so many ways ... all thanks to WEP.
Any parent considering a student exchange program would be well advised to put WEP on top of their list ... it is an absolutely first class program."
-Patrick and Melissa