© WEP 2018
How To Become A Host Family
Host families come from all walks of life. You may have children or not, you may have children older or younger than the exchange student, you may be a young couple or an older couple, or you may be single. You may live in a house, in an apartment, in a town or in the countryside.
In selecting a family, WEP Australia gives priority to the following characteristics:
- A real and profound desire to be part of the hosting experience.
- An openness and flexibility of approach and attitude.
- An ability to be both firm in discipline, yet warm and caring.
- A desire to learn more about other peoples and cultures.
As a host family we expect the following of you:
- Ensure the student respects the program rules of WEP Australia.
- Maintain your same way of life.
- Treat the student the same way you would your own child, as possessing the same rights and responsibilities and adhering to the same standards of behaviour and expectations.
- Share the good times with your student as well as the less agreeable times.
- To become your student’s second family, their friend and their confidant.
- Maintain patience with your student, particularly in the beginning as you and the student adjust to a new lifestyle.
Your student will expect much of the same from you as they learn to adapt to their new surroundings and become a fully-fledged member of your family.
- Fill out the enquiry form below or call 1300 884 733 to request a free information pack, including our brochure, application form and profiles of prospective students.
- Return the application form along with detailed descriptions of your family, quality photos depicting your daily life and student preference.
- A WEP local area coordinator visits your family home to meet the family for a relaxed interview. This coordinator is also a volunteer and will be available to provide ongoing support throughout your student’s stay. Your three referees are also contacted at this stage. We also request Working With Children Checks.
- Acceptance into the hosting program is confirmed and WEP arranges local area school enrolment for your student.
- Your student arrives to begin their experience and build a lasting relationship with you and your family.