© WEP 2019
All About Hosting
Hosting an overseas high school student gives Australian families the opportunity to share their life and culture with young people from around the world for a school year, semester or term. It is about discovering another culture, encompassing different traditions and practices, and supporting a new family member.
WEP host families are unpaid volunteers. They are welcoming, curious and excited to have the opportunity for new experiences. They are people who would like to discover another culture, another way of life and traditions, and enjoy seeing Australia through the eyes of their exchange student.
You will become a second set of parents to your student and they will adapt themselves to your routines and family rules. While hosting a student you will have the opportunity to uncover the little differences that exist between our culture and that of another country.
Over time, host parents find that they have a special place in the heart of the exchange student. Some students even come to call their host parents ‘mum’ and ‘dad’ and are heart-broken when it comes time for them to return home.
Who are the exchange students?
WEP exchange students are young people between the ages of 15 and 18 who want to experience a new culture, build their characters and increase their maturity levels by learning to adapt and integrate into a way of life unique and different from their own.
They are students who think seriously about their future and who want to learn our language through daily usage.
The students who arrive in our country have deliberately made the choice to come and live here. Despite a multitude of possible choices, Australia is where they have chosen to undertake their exchange. It is our culture they wish to learn more about and it is up to us to help them do so.
- Having a photo taken and sent overseas of a meal you have prepared, because it looks so different!
- Knowing someone who is amazed that we can travel for hours and still be in the same state of one country!
- Being part of a young person’s life as they rapidly learn about the subtle differences between people and cultures!
- Putting your own extraordinary efforts and generosity into the personal development of a new family member!
Together, families and students discover that, although vast and multifaceted, the world is filled with people sharing similar hopes, dreams and concerns for the future.
Hosting a student encourages a family to:
- See Australia through the eyes of a non-Australian.
- Visit new places and re-visit old favourites.
- Teach our local customs and language.
- Gain a new family member and friend for life.
- Have lots of fun!
Host families also tell us that hosting a student and learning about another language and culture in their own home is the next best thing to living overseas.
If you would like to hear more from WEP host families Click Here